SPINACH AND LENTIL (DAL) soup
If you've ever thought lentils were bland or boring, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the flavours in this simple and quick recipe!
Spinach And Lentil (Dal) Soup
- 1 tbsp Kissan Madras Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp Kissan Garam Masala
- 3 tbsp Kissan Olive Oil
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 1 whole carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups of vegetable stock (if not vegetarian, you can substitute chicken stock)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups brown, green or red lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium size lemon
- In a soup pot, heat Kissan Olive Oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and carrots. Sauté the onions until it softens and begins to turn golden. Add garlic, cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, Kissan Garam Masala, cumin powder, Kissan Madras curry powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, water, lentils and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a slightly vented lid. Allow the soup to cook for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and set aside. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup halfway through so that it thickens but retains texture.
- Put soup over medium heat again. Add the fresh spinach leaves and cilantro. Stir in the greens for 1-2 minutes, or until just wilted (covering the pot will wilt them faster).
- Turn off the heat and add in fresh lemon juice to taste. Adjust seasonings if desired, and serve.
Hope you enjoyed this Spinach and Lentil (Dal) Soup Recipe!
We are so glad you are here! Let us know when you make this dish when you share to social media for a chance to be featured on our page! Hope you enjoy this comfort food with someone you LOVE!
Don't Have all the Ingredients?! Get Kissan Products Here:
"When Quality Counts, Trust In Kissan"