Quick & Easy Curried Fish!
You can have an amazing, flavorful, and jaw-dropping curried fish dinner in just 30 minutes! Cooking with Kissan spices takes the mystery and fear out of creating Indian dishes. All you need is a few spoonful of our masalas to create an unforgettable meal that will make impress your family and friends!
Curried fish, like all curry dishes, can be made in many ways, so don't be shy to experiment and find your favorite. For this recipe, we will be making a semi-gravy curried fish with Kissan Fish Masala and codfish (you can also use tilapia or any white fish)!
Let's get started! What you'll need to do first is pick your fish. This recipe works best with white fishes as they are quick to cook and pair perfectly with all the spices used. White fishes are typically tilapia, cod, bass, grouper, haddock, catfish, and snapper. We opted for codfish in this recipe.
Now that you have selected your fish, drizzle some cooking oil (we suggest olive oil) and gently rub the Kissan Fish Masala and set aside for about 10-15 minutes.
While your fish marinates, grab a large shallow frying pan heat up some oil and toss in mustard seeds. Mustard seeds are an amazing addition to many curry dishes. Not only do mustard seeds contain minerals and antioxidants that help improve bone health and has anti-inflammatory properties, but they also offer a subtle yet aromatic flavor that pairs perfectly in curry sauces, pastes and stews.
Once the seeds turn golden brown, add in some curry leaves, garlic, ginger, a dash of Kissan Fish Masala, salt, tomato paste, fenugreek leaves and stir-fry until the oil starts to separate from the masala.
Now for the final step, splash some water into the mix and gently stir in your marinated fish. It's important to carefully and slowly stir because most white fishes are fragile and can break apart easily. So to avoid your curried fish from becoming a stir fry, use a ladle to stir so your pieces stay whole.
And there you have it, a quick and easy curried fish that will have your guests craving more! You can pair this toasted buttered naan or roti. It also goes perfectly with your favorite rice dish. Garnish with fresh lime and cilantro garnish or simply enjoy it by its self!
- 4 large fish fillet (cod or tilapia work perfect) and chop it in 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Handful of Dried curry or fresh curry leaves
- 1 + 2 tablespoons Kissan Fish Masala Spice
- ½ tablespoon each minced garlic/ginger
- 3-4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup fresh or frozen fenugreek leaves
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Splash or water
Fresh lime wedges
1. Marinate your 1-inch pieces of fish in 1 tablespoon of the Kissan Fish Masala and a little cooking oil for about 10-15 minutes
2. In a large shallow pan add oil, heat through and add in the mustard seeds until they start to crackle. Add in the onions and sauté until slightly golden brown.
3. Add in the curry leaves, garlic, ginger, Fish masala, salt, tomato paste, fenugreek leaves and stir-fry until you see oil start to separate from the masala. (you can substitute the fenugreek for fresh spinach if you prefer)
4. Add in the fish chunks and a little water. Cook on medium heat until fish is fully cooked. Be gentle when stirring as the delicate pieces can break.
5. Garnish with fresh cilantro and squeeze of lime. Serve with your favorite rice, naan or roti.
If you try this recipe, share a photo and tag us on Instagram and Facebook @kissaninternational . Follow us for the latest updates and amazing new delicious recipes to try at home!
This lovely recipe was created by Nina Cocina, so make sure to follow her too on Instagram at @nina_cocina for more wonderful recipes, tips & tricks!