The Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet
When making a lifestyle change of going vegan. Think Positive!! Focus on all the amazing things we are adding to our regular diet rather than the few things that are now missing. Nowadays, there are many amazing substitutes available in the market; but it still takes a bit of forethought and ingenuity to replacing the classic baking ingredients (eggs, milk, and butter). However, it is still possible to whip up a batch of vegan birthday cake, chocolate chip cookies or even fudgy brownies, with the right replacement ingredients in the right quantity.
Here are a Few Easy Substitutes for your Vegan Kitchen!
Vegan Egg Substitutes
- 1 Egg = 1 Tbsp (7 g) ground flaxseeds + 3 Tbsp (45 mL) water (Mix and let sit for 5 minutes or until it has a gel like consistency)
- 1 Egg = 1 Tbsp chia seeds (10 g) + 3 Tbsp (45 mL) water (Mix and let sit for 15 minutes or until it has a thick consistency)
- 1 Egg = ½ Mashed ripe banana. If using this in baked goods, it's best to cream the banana with sugar.
- 1 Egg = ¼ cup (60 mL) unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin, or pureed prunes.
- 1 Cup Butter = ¾ cup (180 mL) nut or seed butter + ¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil.
- 1 Cup Butter = ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk ‘cream’ (Place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. The fat separates from the water. Use thick cream to replace butter)
- 1 Cup Butter = 1 Cup Margarine
- 1 Cup Butter = 1 Cup Melted Coconut
- 1 Cup Milk = 1 Cup Almond/Coconut/Oat/Soy/Cashew Milk
1 Cup Buttermilk= 1 cup (240 mL) plant-based milk + 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice, white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar (let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk it until bubbles form)
- Replace equal parts of ice cream with blended frozen banana.
(Vary the flavour by adding berries, cacao powder, nuts etc)